In the Fall of 1953
Charles and Margaret Wallington opened a small Christian bookstore on a side street in Spartanburg, South Carolina. This original store was only 600 square feet and sales for that first year were less than $6,000. After a number of years, a move was made to larger quarters on East Main Street, in the uptown shopping district. In the next decade, two more moves were made within the uptown area, each time adding space for expansion of stock and services.
In the Fall of 1974
CHRISTIAN SUPPLY, Inc. relocated in the Pinewood area, to a free-standing building occupying 6,000 square feet of prime space. The store continued to experience steady, consistent growth due mainly to its excellent reputation in the community for wide selection and a friendly and well-trained sales staff.
It was about the time of this move that another "generation" of the family joined the management team of the store on a full-time basis.
In the mid-1970's, a major step was taken that would greatly effect the impact and outreach of the company for decades to come with the addition of two state-wide WATs lines. These allowed the store to expand its ministry to churches and individuals throughout the state. The expansion to nation-wide WATs service in 1979 allowed for even more extensive growth to the point that the store presently has over 75,000 active accounts of churches and individuals in all 50 states, Canada, and numerous foreign countries.
In The Fall of 1983
CHRISTIAN SUPPLY, Inc. moved for the sixth time in its then-thirty year history to larger quarters on East Wood Street. This would serve as our retail "home" for the next 14 years, with an additional warehouse building being added for the last seven of these years from which our mail order business continued to grow and expand. In the Spring of 1995, a second "satellite" store was added on the west side of Spartanburg, encompassing a little under 4,000 square feet of retail space. This presence on the west side, would serve as the catalyst for our seventh move in the Fall of 1997.
Opening in September of 1997
The current store is located on one of the busiest arteries in the Spartanburg market, and encompasses almost 35,000 square feet of retail sales floor, offices, and warehouse space. It is a part of the testimony of this company that this move, as well as all six previous ones, were very much directed by the Lord and indeed, our facilities over these years have always represented His goodness far beyond our own means.
Awards and Recognition
The store now ranks as the largest family-owned Christian retail operation in the world, and is widely recognized within the Christian retailing industry as a leader in innovative and creative marketing and management techniques.
- We have been recognized by our international trade organization as the outstanding store in the five-state Southeastern region.
- In the late 1990's, the store received the Ministry Impact Award from the Christian Booksellers Association, International recognizing the store's ministry impact on the community and beyond.
- In the Summer of 2000, the store was awarded the Christian Booksellers Association's "Retail Innovator of the Year" award in a ceremony at the annual International Convention in New Orleans. This award recognizes outstanding innovations and marketing in the Christian retail field.
- At the CBA International Convention in 2001, the store was awarded the Ministry Impact Award (for the second time in three years)and the Merchandising/ Product Presentation Award for excellence in product presentation and in-store merchandising.
- More recently, our international trade association of more than 2,300 Christian retail stores recognized our store as the 2007-2008 Store of the Year. We are grateful for this recognition from our peers, of the service and commitment we make in taking care of our customers both locally, nationally, and around the world.
Our committed staff... one of the secrets to our growth and success!
When you shop with Christian Supply, Inc., you're being served by a staff that is dedicated to meeting your needs as best we can.
Our staff of almost 80 sales associates, customer service representatives, and support personnel represent hundreds of collective years of Christian retail experience (we have seven staff members that have celebrated more than 25 years of service with us!).
We encourage and reward our staff for excellent service and work, and we constantly monitor our performance through customer surveys, secret shoppers, and casual feedback for ways that we can improve our training and the ultimate delivery of service to you.
Committed To The Future
Christian Supply, Inc. approaches the future with a commitment to constant innovation and improvement in areas of customer service and retailing excellence as we continue to serve our growing worldwide customer base.
Our major area of work currently involves our web presence and our efforts to not only service our many worldwide church and individual consumers with e-commerce, but also with Christian Supply's established "excellent customer service" as we configure to allow customers to track orders and monitor their accounts on-line, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!